Denver Restaurant and Hotel Retention, Rehire and Hire Support Grant
The Colorado Restaurant Foundation, in partnership with the City of Denver and the Colorado Hotel & Lodging Association, is currently offering grants to restaurants and hotels up to a maximum of $10,000 per business to attract and retain workers to support the industry as it seeks to recover from the negative impacts due to the COVID 19 pandemic. This specific grant was created to reimburse businesses for hiring and retention bonuses paid to staff. Assistance shall be provided to eligible applicants regardless of the immigration status of the applicant.
Eligibility criteria for grant funds are as follows:
- Business must be physically located in Denver.
- Business must be currently open and operating and had an established location in Denver prior to December 31, 2020.
- Business must not have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy (Chapter 11 bankruptcy is NOT a disqualifying factor.)
- No business recipient shall receive more than a total of $10,000 in funds from this grant program per location during the 2021 calendar year
- Assistance shall be provided regardless of the immigration status of the applicant or the employee receiving the bonus.
- While the business must be physically located in Denver, the employees that receive bonuses as part of this program do not need to be Denver residents.
- Business must submit a hiring and/or retention bonus plan for their employees including amount paid to each employee for starting employment and/or bonus paid after at least 80 hours of employment for retention bonuses.
- Example (Restaurant A):
- We offer new hires a bonus of $1500 after an employee has worked 360 hours (averages 30 hours/week x 12 weeks – bonus will be given as soon as an employee reaches 360 hours)
- Example (Restaurant B):
- We offer new hires a bonus of up to $1500 total to be paid as follows: $500 after 100 hours, another $500 after the next 100 hours (200 hours total), and a final $500 after the next 100 hours (300 hours total).
- Example (Restaurant C):
- We will pay an immediate $500 retention bonus to each employee who has been employed for at least 80 hours.
- Example (Restaurant A):
- Bonus structure is up to discretion of employer, but employees must work a minimum of 80 hours at the business before they qualify for a bonus.
- Reimbursement will be limited to $10,000 per business and up to $1,500 per employee.
- Businesses must complete the below application.
Application to include:
- Business name, address and amount of grant requested (not to exceed $10,000)
- Employment level at the end of 2019 (# of full-time equivalents and total number of staff), employment at the time of application and number of new positions expected to be added in 2021.
- Gross revenues of the recipient business in 2019 and 2020.
- Ownership (optional): women, minority, veteran
- Business location by Council district and neighborhood
In order to have your application reviewed, you must upload any of the below that are applicable (note: NONE of this information will be shared with the City of Denver or any other government agency. This is solely for internal use only to determine proof of eligibility.):
- Proof of Denver location (ex: signed lease document, or any bill from electric, energy or water) (Required)
- A single annual report or statement each year for 2019 and 2020 or a single report showing both years gross revenues (ex: P&L from each year). Monthly reports are not acceptable. (Required)
- A hiring and/or retention bonus plan for your employees including amount paid to each employee for starting employment and/or bonus paid after at least 80 hours of employment. No employee can receive more than $1,500. (Required)
- W-9 (Required)
- Certificate of Registration with the Colorado Secretary of State (Required)
Find your certificate: https://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/BusinessEntityCriteriaExt.do?resetTransTyp=Y
- Other documentation that will support your application (Optional)
Note: No monies will be paid out until proof of bonus payments is submitted to the association.